Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I have a set a threshold

45 minutes. That is the amount of time I will now wait for someone before going home.

I spent an hour driving to a park on memorial day, my day off of work, only to sit under a tree with no phone reception for an hour and a half and then drive another hour home because no one showed up. I was also intentionally 30 minutes late because I knew everyone else would also be late. Don't get me wrong, I like hanging out with my friends but a lot of them have a complete disrespect for time. I understand that its hard to estimate arrival times and things come up. It's difficult for me to arrive on time especially since I live far away from most things, but I think anything over 45 minutes without a good reason for being late is unacceptable.

It's simple. If you value my friendship, you should value my time. Don't value my time? I will place less value on our friendship.

This post was a little more personal than I want this blog to be but I need to get it out. I would have also contacted everyone personally of my decision but I'd rather not spend the TIME right now: )

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe in punctuality. Bummer.

Kate said...

I am, from this point forth, vowing to arrive 46 minutes late to all activities in which we participate together. Also, lateness gives me panic attacks, so you KNOW i support this. However, might I suggest that you leave some wiggle room to those friends who are usually never late. Case in point, if Andy is ever late, I can rest assured that he was mangled in a car accident and has no vocal cords or fingers with which to dial my phone number. And, I've always been proven close to correct in those scenarios.

Charlie said...

Love it. College students give something like 20 minutes for a tenured PhD, so 45 is a bargain for friends. Lateness can be acceptable only if there is prior notice via e-mail or phone that one is going to be tardy. Pathological lateness is a condition for which needs therapy and medication to cure. Perhaps they can create a punctuality patch, like those for nicotine. :)

Unknown said...

Just wait til you have a kid.

I was never, EVER late for anything, before we had connor. Not even once in my life. Not a single time. For anything. Especially band practice.

Now that I have him, you can rest asasured I will be 1-2 hours late for everything.

Just wait till you pop out a child, you will see.