Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Why I Didn't Vote for Obama

Before Barack Obama announced his bid for president, I was a big supporter of him but primarily for his environmental policies. He was the candidate I voted for in the primaries. However, I did not vote for him last night. So what changed my mind about him? There are a few reasons...and many of these reasons are why I have withdrawn my support from most major party candidates (Republican and Democrat). First reason...

Israel/AIPAC:
Obama pledged his allegiance to Israel and AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee). Even though I was raised jewish and have no hatred of jewish people or any religion for that matter, I do not agree with the AIPAC or our current policy with Israel. There is actually a huge jewish anti-AIPAC following. AIPAC is the second most powerful lobbyist group in the United States. The fact that a group that powerful exists soley for the well being of another country makes me outraged. This is a perfect example of how money and power can make policy decisions. Because of AIPAC's lobbyist efforts, we give an annual $4 billion military package to Israel. This is American taxpayers money being used to support the interest of a country that is not their own. This is one of the main reasons why muslim countries do not like this country.

The Bailout:
Obama's support for the bailout was the issue that officially made me withdraw my pledge to vote for him for president. The $800 bailout plan is a huge sum of money that we don't have. It's not like the government has that money. They have to print it or borrow it. The same thing for his support for the economic stimulus package (and a new one he's pushing for). We did not have the money so we had to either borrow or print more. But this helps the middle class you say? Yes it does but only temporarily and it causes more long term problems. Handing out money we don't have to taxpayers and banks is just like putting a bill on a credit card. Yes we can go buy whatever we want for a while but We will keep racking up the balance and eventually have to pay it back when we max it out. Our "max out" is enevitible.

Federal Reserve/Central Bank:
Obama has failed to be critical of the Federal Reserve and the Central Bank. The Federal Reserve is a group of private bankers who benifit from printing money. They print money out of thin air and loan it to banks ON INTEREST! Therefore, they make money out of printing money. The banks then loan us money ON INTEREST! How did the banks "earn" this money? Why do they deserve interest payments? This was one of the primary reasons for the Revolutionary War and our desire to break away from the Central Bank of England. Our current monetary policy results in a public that is eternally in debt and servitude to the banks. This is closely related to the recent bailout and economic stimulus packages when you think about it.

Also:
- Lack of media coverage of 3rd party candidates (you all saw the condradiction...Ron Paul signs everywhere and he won most of the straw polls but barely any media coverage of him)
- His reversal of his commitment to not receive public financing

Don't get me wrong. I like Obama. I am mesmorized when I hear him speak. He will be a great leader and bring people together better than Bush did or McCain would have. I knew either McCain or Obama would win and the 3rd parties had no chance, so I was very happy to hear Obama came out the victor. But when it comes down to it, he is not America's savior, we will still have the same monetary policy, we still have a powerful lobbyist group pushing us into war with Iran and keeping the anti-american flame lit. Even as I supported Obama from the beginning, I have said he is the best candidate for the "Planet" but not the best for America. An Obama presidency will not offer much "Change". The mess we are in has been a long time coming, way before Bush. I believe that until a major party candidate addresses the issues above, we will still be plagued by the same problems. This is why I withdrew my support for Obama and voted Nader (who I agreed with on all issues above). Keep a close eye on the candidates you voted in. Make sure they are fulfilling or trying to fulfill their promises. If they don't, don't vote them back in. Also, always be open to changing your mind on what you believe in. If you've had the same beliefs on the issues all of your life, you're most likely 99% wrong. Never blindly follow a political party and always vote for the candidate based on the issues you believe are most important to this countries well being.

1 comment:

warfare mom said...

I can "hear" most of what you are saying except for the paragraph about Israel....there's so much more to it on another level.....but we all have our personal belief system don't we....I wonder what yours is......Donna